The Missing Files message appears when photos, videos or music used in your show have been renamed, moved or removed from the original path. To find the missing files just point ProShow to where these files are now stored and save your show.
When you add content in ProShow, you’re not actually copying the files – that would cause your hard drive to fill up pretty quickly. Instead, ProShow simply links your show to the places where the content already exists. This saves hard drive space, and makes it possible to edit the file in an external program and have it update in ProShow.
If you move the content, ProShow won’t know where it is the next time you open your show. Sometimes you might not even realize you moved something. ProShow makes it easy to fix your show with the Find Missing Files window.
Finding Your Missing Files
- Find out where your content is located on your computer. If you’re not sure where to start, check your C: drive, My Documents, or My Pictures. Make a note of where you find your content.
- After you have located the files you will need to follow the on-screen instructions in ProShow to manually find the missing content in your show. In the Missing Files window, click Yes to help ProShow find the files. If you’ve already closed that message box, just pick Find Missing Files from the File menu.
- Select the first image in the list of missing files and click on the Find Selected button
- This will open up your Browse for ‘xxxx’ window. Go to the path where your content is saved and select the file you are trying to locate
- If all files are located in the same folder ProShow will attempt to locate the rest of the files for you. If they are in different folders you will need to repeat the process until all files have been located.
- After you complete this process select Done and ProShow will load the show.
- After the show is loaded save the show as soon as possible. Doing so will prevent you from having to do this again.
See how this is done in this video
Tips to prevent this from happening:
If you plan to move, rename, or change the path of files you are going to use in a show. Do this before adding the content to a show.
Never add content from a removable device because the content will not be present once the removable device is unplugged from the computer.
When moving a show to another computer, use Collect Show Files in ProShow to avoid this problem. For more information on this topic, click here.