A live show is an Executable that can dynamically pull images from a folder on your hard drive as the show plays. Perfect for event photography, or a photo studio. This allows you to change images as the show plays, without the need to stop and rebuild the show.
Live Show is another feature that is unique to Executable output. A Live Show functions the same as a normal show, with one exception…a Live Show can dynamically pull images from a folder on your hard drive as the show plays. Perfect for event photography, or a photo studio. This allows you to change images as the show plays, without the need to stop and rebuild the show.
When you make a Live Show, what you’re doing is including Live Images in your show. Live images are assigned on a per layer basis. This means that one layer on your slide can be live while others are normal pre-selected image or video layers. Any layer you create on a slide can become a Live Image and live images will work with masks or adjustment layers just like any other image layer will.
- Live Events (Weddings, Reunions, Live Presentations, etc)
- Advertising (Window displays, waiting room displays, etc)
- Informational Display (Museums, Restaurants, Bus Stations, etc)
Live Shows only work for Executable playback or preview playback within ProShow Producer. Since the program simply accesses whatever pictures are in your designated folder, the Live Show images are not saved in the show.
Materials needed to make a Live Show
- Digital camera that supports wi-fi transferring or device that connects to your camera and can transfer the images to your computer on the fly. Something like the Eye-Fi product line would work well here.
- Folder to hold the images for your Live Show
- Completed slide show with the live show feature enabled on each layer that you want to display as a live image
- Computer that can connect to an external display for playback of show (Projector, Monitor or Television)
To Create a Live Image Layer
- Create a new slide with any image or video
- Double-click on the slide to open the Slide Options
- Select the layer in your slide that you want to become a Live Image, then click the Layer Settings tab.
- Check the Live Image box in the Layer Type pane.
Your layer is now live and ready to configure for dynamic images on the fly.
The next step is to control how those Live Images are chosen so that ProShow knows exactly which images you want to include in the show.
Configure Your Live Image Layers
- Click on Configure Folder next to the Live Image checkbox.
- Click Browse for both the Preview and Executable folders and select the folder where the dynamic content will be located.
- Choose your Order, Rotation, and Include settings in the Playback Settings pane.
- Click Ok.
Understanding Your Live Image Settings
The Live Image settings can be broken down into a few parts to better understand how your chosen settings will impact the way your show plays.
The Folders to Pull Live Image From area is where you choose which folder ProShow will use when selecting random images to play during the show. You can specify different folders for both Preview and Executable playback.
Order allows you to tell ProShow how to select which images it will play during the show.
There are three options to choose from:
- Play in random order is the default setting and is the most simple. ProShow will select a random image from the folder every time a live image layer is displayed.
- Play in order files are added will cause ProShow to play your images in the order of their creation date, from oldest to newest. This is because your oldest file was created first, while the newest was the last. Once all files have been shown, ProShow will go back to the beginning again.
- Play newest files first instructs ProShow to always load new images before anything else. Once all new images have been shown at least once, ProShow will select images at random until a new one has been added to the folder.
Rotation tells ProShow to check the EXIF data from your images to determine how to display the image properly. If you’re blending normal landscape shots with portrait shots taken from the camera at an angle, the camera will add EXIF data to the picture telling ProShow which direction should be “up”. Disable this option if you don’t want this behavior.
Include allows you to be a bit more granular in how ProShow selects which images to display. You can specify a time, in seconds, which ProShow will apply to your images. Once images in your live folder are older than the specified time, ProShow will no longer use those images as part of the live show.
It’s important to remember that your live show image configuration is applied to the whole show – not per layer. The configuration applies to all live images in your show, no matter how many you have across your slides. This lets you set up the configuration once rather than being forced to make these changes for each live image you include in the show.
Styles and Live Images
Slide Styles work great with Live Images, giving you the great tool to dramatically enhance your live shows withouyt doing a lot of hands-on work with your slides. ALl you need to do is choose your style, then pick which layers in that slide will be live images. It’s often easiest to pick just those images which actually appear in the style.
Be aware that some styles will use duplicates of the same image. If you make all versions into live images, you might get different live images on each of the layers.
Video Clips and Live Images
Because the amount of time it takes to import video can vary so greatly between clips, ProShow won’t use video files as part of the Live Image selection as it will cause the Live Show to not play properly. Any videos placed in your live image folders will be ignored during playback of the live show.
If you have additional questions regarding this topic, feel free to contact us.